During class, our lecturer spoke about “Office Romance”. He called me out with some other colleague to make an illustration on what he had been teaching on “Office Romance”. Immediately he called me out, there was an uproar of excitement. Amongst the noise I heard someone scream,” He is a virgin!” Everyone kept yelling,” He is a virgin!” For the very first time, I was embarrassed on hearing anybody refer to me as virgin. It use to be the other way round in high school; at least with my colleagues in scripture union.
It may surprise the world to know that in Africa, there are so many virgins. However, I do not dispute the fact that this statistic is dwindling with time. There are old women, young women and girls who are still virgins in Africa. They are in our cities, homes and schools. Believe it or not, many men are virgins in Africa as well. For anonymity, I would say I personally know many virgins ranging between the ages of 18 to 50 years. In Africa, virginity stands for pride, purity, responsibility and self discipline. This philosophy-I would say is fading into thin air with time. Otherwise there would be no need to be anonymous. Virginity use to be flaunted in the faces of others by any means possible. It use to be a beautiful thing in Africa that is shown off at festivals like the dipo. Dipo is a festival where young female virgins display their beauty and their preparedness for womanhood(adulthood) which comes with marriage and the bearing of children. This festival although not as huge as it use be is still celebrated; so I guess we still have a little oil in the lamp. The pride in virginity has not left us completely. The picture above is a virgin dipo girl.
However, many Africans are now ashamed of their status as virgins because of many reasons such as;
1. They feel they are in the minority. Virgins no more come out to say they are virgins so the few that do feel they are the only ones.
2. Their peers view them as unworthy or unfit to ‘get laid’ or have sex. This is embarrassing to most virgins.
However, some virgins in Africa are the cutest, lovable and the most interesting people who can ‘get laid’ in the twinkling of an eye. They decide to remain virgins because;
1. Religious reasons of purity and righteousness. They want to remain pure till they marry because that will allow them make it to heaven.
2. For cultural and moral values. A man and a woman is expected by tradition to remain chaste till marriage.
3. Some people have simply made that reason to live a chaste life till marriage to ensure trust, faithfulness and a long lasting relationship in the near future.
4. Others want to stay away from sexually transmitted diseases through the best way possible-ABSTINANCE.
5. Others find SEX utterly repulsive due to their experiences of abuse.
Many more reasons exist why people stay virgins in Africa. I will definitely let you in the ‘virgin diaries’ of some of the hottest girls and cutest guys in Africa. You will realize virginity is nothing to be embarrassed about. It is worth embracing till marriage. Follow my blog and comment below to stay tuned with the upcoming diaries.